Monday, August 13, 2012

Rule Brittania!

After 2 weeks of late nights cheering on our Kiwi Olympians we finally got to the musical part of the proceedings, the closing ceremony. Three hours of lights, theatre, dance and music. Hmmm, yes, the music. It was an easy avenue for the Brits to go down I suppose. The Chinese put on the huge drum bashing militaristic display because, well, they had no real engrossing pop culture to show the world did they? The Brits on the other hand are overflowing with the stuff. In fact, the whole thing was like an enormous Royal Variety Performance.









Now the thing with these performances is, you can't please all the people all the time. While I smiled at Bowie and Madness my daughter rolled her eyes and vice versa with One Direction. (or One Dimension as I call them).

I think we can all agree, the lineup was good but who could have been added in improve things? Well, I reckon the following would have been gold medal additions

The Housemartins - Happy Hour
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
The Stone Roses - She Bangs The Drums
The Style Council - Shout To The Top

I was going to say Spandau Ballet - Gold, but that'd be to cheesy. Any other obvious omissions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.hypersmash.com